By Paul Kengor
while historians credits Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II with hastening the top of the chilly battle, they've got didn't realize the intensity or importance of the bond that constructed among the 2 leaders.
Acclaimed student and bestselling writer Paul Kengor adjustments that. during this interesting ebook, he unearths a unique bond—which incorporated a non secular connection among the Catholic pope and the Protestant president—that drove the 2 males to confront what they knew to be the nice evil of the 20th century: Soviet communism.
Reagan and John Paul II nearly didn’t have the ability to forge this courting: simply six weeks aside within the spring of 1981, they took bullets from would-be assassins. yet their strikingly related near-death studies introduced them shut together—to Moscow’s dismay.
A Pope and a President is the made of years of study. according to Kengor’s tireless archival digging and his specific entry to Reagan insiders, the booklet finds:
- The inside of tale at the 1982 assembly the place the president and the pope confided their conviction that God had spared their lives for the aim of defeating communism
- Captivating new info at the try on John Paul II’s lifestyles, together with a previously unreported mystery CIA investigation—was Moscow at the back of the plot?
- The many similarities and the religious bond among the pope and the president—and how Reagan privately mentioned the “DP”: the Divine Plan to take down communism
- New information about how the Protestant Reagan turned intensely drawn to the “secrets of Fátima,” which date to the said apparitions of the Virgin Mary at Fátima, Portugal, beginning on May 13, 1917—sixty-four years to the day ahead of John Paul II used to be shot
- A startling insider account of ways the USSR could have been set to invade the pope’s local Poland in March 1981—only to tug again whilst information broke that Reagan have been shot
Nancy Reagan known as John Paul II her husband’s “closest friend”; Reagan himself advised Polish viewers that the pope was once his “best friend.” in case you learn this e-book, you'll comprehend why. As kindred spirits, Ronald Reagan and John Paul II united in pursuit of a ultimate objective—and in doing so that they replaced history.
Read Online or Download A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century PDF
Best ideologies books
"Two humans engaging within the related occasions, but on contrary aspects, provide an engrossing view of a fight which engulfed a wide group in northern Westchester County in ny nation. It turned the longest lecturers strike in long island State’s heritage. even if they're own memoirs, either authors try and provide as complete an image of the personalities, associations, and matters using the fight as every one skilled it.
"“…an soaking up (and fantastically written) learn that merits a really vast viewers. ” - Joshua Muravchik “…an erudite account of the place [the] imaginative and prescient [of person liberty] comes from, why a few ideologues set themselves opposed to it, and the way our contemporaries have ceased to treasure it. ” - Christopher Caldwell “Bolkestein exposes today’s trendy, but harmful rules, doing a superb provider not just to Europe yet certainly to the total of Western civilization.
The anarchist stream had a very important impression upon the Mexican operating classification among 1860 and 1931. John M. Hart destroys a few previous myths and brings new info to gentle as he explores anarchism's impression at the improvement of the Mexican city working-class and agrarian routine. Hart indicates how the guidelines of eu anarchist thinkers took root in Mexico, how they encouraged progressive developments there, and why anarchism used to be finally unsuccessful in generating actual social switch in Mexico.
Considered one of smooth democracy's largest demanding situations is the abroad voter. This publication is the 1st of its variety to discover the problems of army and in a foreign country vote casting, a frequently missed vote casting bloc, by way of investigating the successfulness of out of the country balloting tasks, applied sciences, and coverage efforts.
- Anarchism: Its Philosophy and Scientific Basis
- Burma in Revolt: Opium and Insurgency since 1948
- Die Anatomie der Ungleichheit: Woher sie kommt und wie wir sie beherrschen können (German Edition)
- Race to Revolution: The U.S. and Cuba during Slavery and Jim Crow
Additional resources for A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century
A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century by Paul Kengor